- Chair of DotScot, a not-for-profit company set up to pursue and run the .scot domain name
- Edinburgh-based special adviser to Simon Fraser University’s Centre for Scottish Studies
- Adviser to the Scottish Government’s ‘Team Scotland in Canada’
- Online editor Scottish Review of Books
- Monthly columnist on Scottish affairs in Vancouver’s Celtic Connection newspaper.
- Regular reviewer for Herald and Sunday Herald
- Contributor to Globe and Mail, Montreal Gazette, Vancouver Sun, Observer etc
- Selection of writing can be found on journalisted
European agent for Drumkeeran House near Pemberton, British Columbia. Drumkeeran is a Scottish-owned lodge which is ideal for corporate retreats, weddings and all special occasions. It is on the shore of a trophy fishing lake and a thirty minute drive from the ski resort or Whistler, British Columbia.
Worked with with Edinburgh-based Birlinn books to publish the memoirs of Reverend Donald John Gillies of St. Kilda. These memoirs were written in Coquitlam, British Columbia when Reverend Gillies was in his eighties. They were collected by the Centre for Scottish Studies at Simon Fraser University and now reside in the National Library of Scotland. Read more about Gillies here. The Gillies memoirs were published by Birlinn in the Fall of 2010 and are distributed in North America by the Independent Publishers Group. You can find the details on the IPG website here.
With art designer Graeme Murdoch, ran the This is who we are photography and video interview project linking same name towns in Scotland and Canada. The project attracted remarkable media attention on both sides of the Atlantic and culminated in an exhibition and reception at the Scottish Parliament hosted by the First Minister, the Presiding Officer and the Canadian High Commission. More about This is who we are here